Sunday, April 08, 2007

Our Roan

My wife always teases me that one day, she's going to tell Roan my first reaction after I saw him the first time after birth. I was trying not to say it then but I couldn't help but ask my wife "Ba't ganun itsura?"

That was because when I first saw our baby boy he did look dark and kinky. It was only after several peeks at the hospital's nursery room did I realize that my son was quite a looker. And he did grow up to be a goodlooking kid. One time we brought him to the Quezon Memorial Circle and some adoring woman said to my wife, "Siguro foreigner parents nyan, ano". I guess she thought we were the yayo, yaya!

Roan brought us joy we have never felt before. At around nine months, he started to stand and and walk. Or should I say, run. Before reaching two years, he was humming the classical tracks of his favorite CD. I remember one time he even hummed the national anthem from start to finish. I was set to brag that our Roan learned to sing even before he uttered a single word.

Until, we had him checked by a developmental pediatrician. At around two years old, he was still not able to say "mama" or "papa", something which comes naturally to almost every other kid. He also did not have eye contact. He watched television oblivious to anyone else, even if you shout out his name. He used gestures instead of words in telling us what he wants. That was the first time we were told of the possibility of autism.

But God really knows. Years back, I got to know through the Internet the president of the Philippine Association of Speech Pathologists. I got to chat with her one time and I ended up helping her put up a website for their organization. As soon as I learned about Roan's condition, I immediately sought advice.

Thus, unlike other kids with similar condition, Roan had the opportunity of early intervention. He has been undergoing speech and occupational therapy since then and have been making great progress. At four, he already has a rich vocabulary, knows his letters, numbers, shapes and colors, and to say please for things he wants. Lately, he even says hi to people he meets. Now, that's something for a kid with autism.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gilbert,

Remember me? Beng, barkada nina Binky, Tess, Sony et al. My second kid, KAEL, was diagnosed with speech impediment, unfortunately, unlike you na maagang napansin na baka may problem ang bata, we were only able to bring him to a developmental pedia when he was 4. Alam mo naman sa ating pinoy pagdi masyadong nagsasalita ang bata, lalo na't lalaki, sasabihin ng mga lolo't lola, either bulol or late bloomer lang. Napagalitan pa nga kami ng doktor e, kasi late intervention na daw kami. Now he is undergoing OT and Speech Therapy, masyado lang mahal, as i have 2 other kids pa (Aniway 7 and Lean 2)to attend too. Sobrang hapit sa budget, pero syempre, everything for our kids, bi da. Dito kami sa Los Banos nakatira at may nakita kaming therapy school, First Steps, ok naman though minsan marami ding kaming questions and concerns re lessons etc. He is now 5 and 4 months, di pa niya alam ang alphabet at numbers, pero mahilig siyang makipagusap. Above superior ang math and logic pero problematic sa speech cognition, English speaking pa! dahil sa kanunuod ng TV noong maliit pa (lalo na MR BEAN) kaya yata nagkaspeech problem (kahit di namin tinuturuan ng english). He is improving though. Best regards sa iyo, sa wife mo at kay Roan, sana minsan magkita-kita tayo.

Gibo said...

hi beng. of course, i remember you. batch yata tayo sa sapul. :) sad to hear about you kael. i guess we just have to help them deal with their condition.

si roan natuto ng letters, numbers, shapes, colors sa kapapanood ng cds tapos nirereinforce na lang namin. he knows how to write na nga all of the letters. yeah, mahal nga ang ot and speech therapy pero tuloy lang natin kasi kailangan talaga.

one time i attended a session of the phil autism society and i plan to be a member. id like to know more from them. meron kasing iba na naging adults na kids nila na me mga problem na tulad din sa atin.

share notes na lang tayo. :) hope we can meet, with binky and all, one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Gilbert, your son is in good hands with his speech-language therapist. Bambie is a dear friend and Julian's ninang too. I am not saying this just because she is a close family friend but because I have worked with them. Actually, all three owners of the center are Julian's ninangs, :)

Btw, my husband Brian Fuertes, is asking if at one time you and your sisters happened to rent a room at their compound in Tandang Sora when you were still studying? Hmm...just curious.

Anonymous said...

God knew you and your wife would be the perfect parents for Roan so He sent him to you. I'm sure you already see that he has a lot to teach your family, too. Everything happens for a reason. Congratulations for having such a wonderful loving family!