Friday, June 15, 2007

Save the life of Marilou Ranario

Inquirer.net bannered today a picture (my apologies for the screenshot) of the relatives of Marilou Ranario, a Filipino migrant worker who had been sentenced by a Kuwaiti court to death by hanging for the killing of her employer, carrying placards saying "Save the life of Marilou Ranario".

The picture got my attention as the surname "Ranario" has a Boholano ring to it, at least for me. This is probably because I had seminary-mates before who had that surname. I have found out of course that Marilou is a 33-year old teacher from Tubod, Surigao del Sur who went to Kuwait to work as a domestic helper. According to her sister, she complained of abuse and maltreatment by her employer before the tragic incident.

Marilou is among the at least 35 overseas Filipino workers presently on death row in foreign countries as reported by the Inquirer. What makes her situation worse is that, it seems her deceased employer's family is not willing to take blood money in exchange for her life. I guess we can only echo the words of her relatives, may the good Lord save the life of Marilou Ranario.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are added to yours.

Unknown said...

oin us n campaigning to save the life of Marilou Ranario, OFW from Kuwait. A mother and a teacher. We will not allow to have another Flor Contemplacion again..

Au Pairs Speak! said...

NO to another Flor Contemplacion...Save the LIFE of Marilou Ranario...and save the LIVES of all OFWs on death row...

Join us in campaigning to save Marilou...

Gibo said...

yes, i will definitely try to help. please keep us up to date of the developments. thanks.

Unknown said...

Could some please give me the address of Marilou Ranario's family. I read an article that they were extremely poor and I will like to help a little. Please send me the address to my email vilmad@hotmail.com