Saturday, January 20, 2007

Birthday thoughts


I don't exactly have clear memories of my early childhood. I just have this one picture in my mind of a family dinner when I was around 5 or 6 years old. I was up there sitting at one end of the table while everyone else was trying to convince me to eat. Not exactly a spectacular sight now that we have two kids who also have to be "convinced" to even swallow a bit of whatever.

After so many years, things have come around. There was a time when our parents worried to death that we'd fall from tables and cabinets we were not supposed to climb, that we'd choke from the things we were not supposed to swallow, or that we'd slam ourselves against the concrete walls. We didn't have the slightest idea then of whatever danger there was. Now, it is our turn to worry.

Not easy but parenting do remind us of what our parents had to go through to keep us breathing and alive, through all those years. It reminds us of how much love came our way without us giving much thought about it. Come to think of it, it reminds us of the beauty of life, that people out there genuinely cared and continue to care for us.

My thoughts and prayers now are with them, my parents. I wouldn't be here now running after my hyper-active four year old boy and savoring the giggles of our one year old daughter, if not for them. My thanks to them and to the Creator who gave them to me.

0 comments: